Pages

The Halo and the Carseat

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I am including a few things specifically about the halo device.  I feel like I've scoured the Internet looking for information about kids with halo devices, but have found little to no useful information.  It's well worth it if this info helps anyone at all!

Getting home.  When it was time to go home, I realized a small detail I had failed to address...the car seat!  Ian was now in a halo that was huge and obviously wouldn't fit in our current car seat (Britax Advocate).  There were two main problems...first of all, the halo was too large for all the side impact "stuff" that was part of our car seat, and secondly, the five point harness was NOT going to fit around the vest attached to the halo.  So, our only option was to use a booster seat.  Initially, we got one that was simply the base with no back.

We used that one for a few weeks, but there were a few problems with using that one.  Ian was just barely 40 lbs. (with the halo), so I didn't feel completely comfortable using a seat with essentially no support.  I also watched him turn sideways in his seat a lot, and that made me nervous. Essentially, it was offering him no protection. Last month, I decided to get him a more supportive booster seat.  I had to actually take him with me to the store and have him sit in each one, so that I could see if the halo would fit.  After sitting in each and every booster, we decided on the Britax Pioneer 70.  It wasn't the cheapest one, but it was the most comfortable for him and offered him the best support.
We've been really happy with our choice.  I will say that I had to recline the seat as far as it would go so that he would not be leaning forward, but once we got it adjusted, it was perfect!  We've recently made several trips to and from Los Angeles (which is about a 90 minute trip one way) and Ian has fallen asleep in the seat comfortably each time.  I am so thankful that I pursued a more supportive car seat!  I feel SO much better driving him around now, and I know he's much more comfortable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground